Thursday, May 29, 2008

Kelsey Elizabeth Smith!

This is my cousin, Kelsey. She just graduated from high school, and I am so proud of her. She is only five years younger than me, but for some reason I have always seen her as my baby cousin (... probably because she spent a lot of time on my hip or in my lap during her younger years). Ha! Of course, being the oldest, I always had to be the "Mom," the "teacher," the "boss!" You get the idea. I miss those days. Recently, I had the opportunity to be with Kelsey to celebrate her graduation, and something hit me. For the first time, I didn't see her as my baby cousin. I am not saying I liked this, but I realized that she is growing up. She won't need me to carry her around on my hip anymore, but she will need me to help carry the burdens of life. She won't need me to tell her what to do anymore, but she will need me to listen. She will need me to believe with her, pray for her, and encourage every step along the way. She will have many fans, but I will be one of the biggest. Suddenly, I got really excited about her growing up. I know this has been happening for years now, but I am just getting on board with the idea. I have to say that I was pleased with what I saw in my "all-grown-up" cousin...a beautiful, compassionate, strong, smart woman with goals, dreams, and the world ahead of her. For eighteen years, she has lived a life that has glorified our Father in heaven. I can't wait to journey with Kelsey through this next chapter and see all that He has for her. Even though I couldn't convince Kel that she loved Baylor as much as I did, I am truly proud of every choice she has made, every hardship she has endured, every award she has earned, because all of it reveals a life in love with Jesus. She isn't three years old anymore, running around naked, calling out for "Unkie Biff" or "Aint Cindy," red curls bouncing everywhere. Good thing we have home videos to take us back to those days! But she is still our Kelsey! Deep in her heart, she knows right from wrong. She knows the difference between "good" and God's best. She knows that only the truth will set her free. She knows who loves her and whom she belongs to. She knows that she is a daughter of the King. She knows how to make her own decisions, and that ultimately God directs her steps. She desires to please those she loves. She knows how to listen and who to listen to. She knows His ways are higher than her ways and that His plans for her are good and true. She knows what it is to obey. Because she knows, she will make it! She may question (as we all do), but she knows... 

No comments: